Sunday, December 30, 2012

8 Miles (and PS it's too cold)


HIMYM is my latest obsession and watching hours upon hours of it on Netflix is completely acceptable because I'm on vacation until Wednesday, so no judgment you.

Anyways, today I watched the episode of HIMYM where Barney runs a marathon and I was absolutely dying.


So after a whole lot of laundry and a whole lot more HIMYM, I set out for my run this afternoon. The plan was an eight mile run testing out all my cool running swag that I got for Christmas that I hadn't used yet. Runs are so much more exciting when you've got cool toys to play with. Also, I am awesome and managed to score a clearance workout jacket from Target for TWELVE DOLLARS. 


I also finally got the chance to try out my new FuelBelt R20 Revenge Hydration Belt! Although I am completely aware that it makes me look like even more of an old lady while I run, I don't even care. I am head over heels in love with that thing. I hate having to carry a water bottle while I run, but I require water just about every mile, so this was perfect. About three steps into my run I realized it needed some major adjusting, because I had it resting way too low. But after I brought it way up on my waist Steve Urkel style, it didn't budge a bit. It was super comfortable and not at all too bulky. 


I decided that as my mileage is increasing, it was finally time to experiment with some energy supplements. I went to Academy earlier this week and stocked up on a few that I'd ready some reviews on:


Even though the chomps and the Cytomax drops are super appealing because HELLO it is basically candy, I just couldn't imagine trying to run and chew at the same time, whereas slurping down a gel seems a little easier. So for today's run, I decided to try out the strawberry-banana GU Gel around mile four. I've never used any energy supplements at all, so I really had no idea what to expect. And if I'm being honest, it wasn't my favorite. The flavor was fine, but I wasn't a huge fan of the consistency. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I tore it open, and basically just sipped on it from mile 4-5. For me, I couldn't imagine gobbling the whole thing down, the consistency was way too thick for that. And almost every sip, I followed with water. It wasn't terrible, it was just different. 

As far as performance, I definitely noticed a burst of energy from mile 6-7 that I'd never experienced before, which was just what I needed to finish strong. I know that GU is one of the most popular gels out there, which is why I grabbed two different flavors, and I'll probably be trying that one out later this week. You really can't beat the ease of a gel, so we'll see if I slowly learn to love it or if I'll be a bigger fan of the chews. I'll let you know. Because I know you will all be on the edge of your seats with anticipation. 

So today's run was 8 miles in 1:16, so an average 9:30 pace. I felt like I was able to pace myself well today which kept it pretty steady. 

And also, it's TOO COLD. It was about 42 degrees and slightly sunny when I set out this afternoon, and while I was pretty comfortable during the run, the minute I stopped after eight miles, it felt like the wind picked up and I was FREEZING. I usually plan my run routes to where I'll run my designated distance and then have a mile cool-down walk home afterwards. But as stopping to walk was resulting in blue lips and frostbite I was forced to walk/run back to my apartment so I wouldn't freeze to death. And it was close. I just barely made it home alive. I decided to celebrate with the world's hottest shower and some recovery hot chocolate. 


My favorite thing in the entire world is to put M&M's in my hot chocolate so that they get all melty and delicious and it's like extreme hot chocolate. Somehow I managed to misplace a gigantic bag of M&M's and so I had to settle for boring plain hot chocolate. Ew, I know, I hate settling.

Can you believe it's almost 2013? It seems like as time goes on, the more excited I am by the prospect of a new year. Even though it means I'm getting older (UGH), it reminds me of how much can change in a year, and how much good can happen in a year. Just think about how much has happened the past year of your life. It's crazy right? There's something so perfect about the way life works in cycles, and I couldn't be more excited to start again with a clean slate of a brand new year. Who knows what 2013 will bring? No one. And that's the scary/awesome part about it. 

Even though I'm a bit early, I want to wish everyone a safe and happy new year! 
Don't forget to count your blessings as we wrap up 2012!

LOVE&HUGS,

Natalie


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...