Sunday, October 21, 2012

Setting Goals: I have too much free time.

I don't keep a journal. Primarily because I don't like my handwriting. But one of the main reasons I decided to get back into this thing, is because I need a way to document whatever the hell I've got going on in my life. 

It's been almost a year since I graduated college, and through my careful observance of the real world and the way all these very serious adults conduct themselves, I've decided I need to start setting some goals. Inspirational people are the ones who've set goals, went after them, and achieved them. I've decided I'm going to be one of those people. 

Now, it should be noted that many of my goals are things such as:

  • Remember to put on deodorant every morning (Don't you judge me)
  • Eat a vegetable a day (I'm still undecided as to whether onion rings count as vegetables)
  • Put x-amount of paycheck into savings (For what? I'm not sure, but all the responsible people do it so I'm really just following suit.)
  • Limit my trips to Target to only one visit per day (Y'all. I'm not even kidding. Not at all. I'm single-handedly responsible for the vast success of the fabulous red bullseye empire)
You get the picture. But this time I've really gone and done it. I set a big one. 

I'm going to run a half-marathon.

Yes, you read that right. 13.1 miles. For those of you who knew me in high school-or hell, for those of you who knew me last Tuesday, you are aware that I am not an athlete. I once stood directly on home plate while at bat during an intramural softball game. You can't make this stuff up, folks. 

My last year of school, I went on this mini fitness/self-discovery journey where I started working out, eating right, lecturing people about how sodas will kill you, and ultimately lost twenty pounds in about three and a half months. It was during this time that I got into the groove of running. Nothing impressive. I'm not fast, not even a little. And I don't run very far at all, (3.5 is the most I've ever run without stopping) But I just really got into the mental aspect of it. It's so rewarding to go for a run and get that feeling of accomplishment once you're finished. 

So one night, after a few glasses of wine and some blog-stalking, (did y'all know that there are women in this world that run FULL marathons while PREGNANT??!! Yeah, let's talk inspirational) I decided I could do it. I could train, and I could run a half-marathon. So that's what I'm going to do. And the more I publicly broadcast it, the harder it will be for me to back out. So, please, dear sweet Jesus, y'all have to keep me accountable. I'm two weeks into training (haven't missed a day yet). I wanted to be able to document this journey of my insanity, and want all the tips/encouragement/feedback I can get (Calling me a self-destructive moron does count as feedback and I totally welcome it). 

Hugs,

Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...